This bee is a strain of the European Dark Honeybee (Apis Mellifera Mellifera). It is the indigenous bee of Ireland and therefore perfectly adapted to the climates of the region. Through genetics it has been proven, Ireland has some of the purest strains of European Dark Bee in the world.
The Burren region provides the ideal location to breed Queens. This is because Karst landscape is not the preferred habitat for the imported honeybee. This reduces the risk of imported drones mating with our Irish Black bee Queen hybridising the Irish Black Bee.
Through working together, we can provide visitors a beautiful Burren Wildflower Honey in the Farmshop.
Why not avail of our cheese tasting tour.
We have been making Fudge here at Aillwee for 25 years. Maggie, a local farmer, who is our experienced fudge maker has been making our delicious fudge for almost 20 years.
Visitors love to indulge this sweet treat and coffee after their walk through our Hazel Woodland.
Some of our fudge specialities are Chocolate Mint Swirl, Atlantic Sea Salt Caramel but Maggie’s favourite is the delicious Burren Crunch!
Our cream and butter Fudge is available to purchase online.
Here is a list of some of the produce you will find on our shelves
- Anam coffee Roasted right here in the Burren Region.
- Clare jams produced in Doolin
- St Tola’s Goat cheese from Inagh.
- Smoked salmon from The Smokehouse in Lidoonvarna
- Chutneys and Sauces just up the road in Kilcolgan.
- Guru Tea House in Ennistymon.
- Wild Irish Sea weed sustainable harvested in Quilty
- Airmid Soaps from Kilfenora.
Some of our staff have gone on to become entrepreneur’s in their own rite and we now stock their crafts.